I realized yesterday that all the best book recommendations in the world are useless if you don’t figure out one thing first – how to read more. Looking back, I should have started this month with tips, but ah, hindsight. So here are some tips to help you read more.
– Make it a priority and do it first, or as early as you can. One thing I do almost every day is read from three different books. Even though I only read 2-10 pages from each book, it still adds up.
– Make it fun. When I set my huge goal of reading 300 books this year, I hit a point where reading was just not fun. I found myself reading like I was in school. If you’re not having fun reading, change things up.
– Stop reading a book if you don’t like it. This was a big shift for me over the past few years. I can sometimes tell in the first page or two if it’s a book for me. Sometimes I’ll stop after 50-100 pages (oh how hard that is when I’m trying to up my read count!) Sometimes a book will stress me out and I’m like, dude, why would I put myself through this?
– Listen to them. Audiobooks are an amazing thing and can really help increase your read count. You can listen while doing the dishes or driving or while taking a walk or cleaning. Make sure to listen to a little bit of the book before you dive in. A good reader can make a hard book much easier (I finally read The Book Thief because of listening to it).
– Join a book club. This is one thing I haven’t done yet, but I think I might enjoy it. Though, my reading tastes change a lot, so it might be harder for me to HAVE to read a book at a set time.
– Do a reading challenge. I have had SO much fun doing reading challenges this year and last. They help to open your eyes to new books you might never read without the challenge.
– Join Facebook groups. I’m in a few groups based around the reading challenges. Oh friends, that took my reading to a new level! I found people who loved to read as I did. Having a community to share your experiences with adds such a new level.
– Have your books where you’ll read them. I have a stack by my bed. I have a stack next to my computer. I have audiobooks on my phone. I have books on CD from the library in the car.
– You tell me. What do YOU do to read more? Let me know in the comments below!
Check out all of my 2018 Read A New Book Month recommendations.
Did you like what you read? Here’s some ways you can support us and this blog!
Join our Facebook group, Planning an Epic Road Trip on Any Budget
Join the Journey With The G’s email list (bonus – you get my Epic Road Trip Budget spreadsheet)
Buy my book, Planning an Epic Road Trip on any Budget
Buy my book, Trusting God With 2 Cents: 22 Days To Becoming A Successful Christian Business Owner.
Shop on Amazon (no additional cost to you, this gives us a percentage of what you order).
Check out our resources page.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel