I’ve shared my full story of our near-death experience before, so if you haven’t read it, check it out here. But today I wanted to talk about the lessons I learned through it, since it, and how it still impacts my life.
For the last 20 years of my life, I have been met with much young death. The ages ranged from about 18-30ish. I’ve attended a lot of funerals. The shortness of life has been within my radar for my entire adult life. Dating Bret also kept it in my view. Honestly, I don’t know if I could have handled having this person I loved deployed to a literal war zone without these experiences.
So reflecting on how close we both came to death that day on the river, I think these things.
– I am never ever ever ever promised tomorrow or even the next second, so I better enjoy the time I have.
– The little things that bother me and stress me out on a day to day basis are so small compared to the scope of my life.
– I let go of the things I need to let go of and hold onto the things I need to hold on to.
– I am much more honest about the things I need and the things I don’t need.
– If I want to wear a Batman shirt with a cape, I do it.
– Even if I’ve made countless mistakes, I can make a difference by sharing those mistakes.
– I live without regrets. While in a lot of ways, I could point to a number of things in my life that I regret. I could say, wow, this situation is NOT what I wanted to happen, I would change THAT for sure. But I’ve learned that everything that has happened in my life has brought me to the person that I am today. And honestly, I really like that person, and I also can’t wait to see who that person is down the road….however many miles I have left on it.
Did you like what you read? Here’s some ways you can support us and this blog!
Join our Facebook group, Planning an Epic Road Trip on Any Budget
Join the Journey With The G’s email list (bonus – you get my Epic Road Trip Budget spreadsheet)
Buy my book, Planning an Epic Road Trip on any Budget
Buy my book, Trusting God With 2 Cents: 22 Days To Becoming A Successful Christian Business Owner.
Shop on Amazon (no additional cost to you, this gives us a percentage of what you order).
Check out our resources page.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel