Yesterday, Bret and I celebrated seven years of marriage. In honor of that, here are 7 things I’ve learned.
1. Marriage can be really, really fun – We have had some amazing adventures. We’ve laughed about silly things and really funny things. I’m glad I’m married to such a fun guy.
2. Marriage can be really, really boring – There are weeks when things are just routine. Same thing, every day. While this could be seen as a bad thing, I see it as consistent more than anything else.
3. Marriage can be really, really easy – There are days when we don’t fight, when the bills are paid and the savings account is fully stocked.
4. Marriage can be really, really hard – There are days when we fight, where the bills are a little behind and the savings account is asking for a life saver.
5. Marriage is best when you’re married to your best friend – Bret is the first person I want to talk to about everything.
6. Marriage is very serious – We’ve always taken a very serious approach to our marriage, especially in the area of relationships with members of the opposite sex. We try not to have private conversations over email or Facebook with a member of the opposite sex, if we can help it. We try not to take rides in cars with a member of the opposite sex alone except in very extreme circumstances. Our relationship with each other is so important and serious.
7. Marriage rocks – plain and simple, this marriage stuff is amazing. To have someone accept you as you are, no matter what, is so, so great.