While doing some reading today, I came across a quote.
“Now we see that marriage is meant to make Christ’s love for his people more visible in the world.” – John Piper – The Passion of Jesus Christ
I immediately thought about our marriage and how when you focus on this aspect, it becomes easy.
Now, Bret and I are very different in a number of ways.
– we play different video games (thankfully, we’re good at taking turns)
– we wash the dishes differently
– we handle and think about finances differently (I want to know the exact date the direct deposit will clear and when the part time job will send the check)
– I geek out over Excel spreadsheets
– he geeks out about workouts
– we both have a LOT of pride (ok, I guess we’re a lot alike in that way)
– we deal with set backs differently….I am one to get very discouraged and/or worked up and he’ll just let it go.
But God commands us:
” Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her”
“Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.”
I’ve found that when Bret and I embrace our roles laid out in scripture, our marriage is easy. It takes time, it takes work, it takes building habits, it takes choosing to submit to my husband, it takes Bret loving me…even when I’m being totally ridiculous. The thing that’s crazy is I don’t feel like I’m “controlled by his leadership” and he’s not “whipped.” As “counter-culture” as biblical roles may seem, when we follow them, our marriage is easy. Huh, taking God at His Word and it works…imagine that.
And if it does get hard, we have this encouragement:
“For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.”
2 Corinthians 4:17-18 😉
Did you like what you read? Here’s some ways you can support us and this blog!
Join our Facebook group, Planning an Epic Road Trip on Any Budget
Join the Journey With The G’s email list (bonus – you get my Epic Road Trip Budget spreadsheet)
Buy my book, Planning an Epic Road Trip on any Budget.
Buy my book, Trusting God With 2 Cents: 22 Days To Becoming A Successful Christian Business Owner.
Shop on Amazon (no additional cost to you, this gives us a percentage of what you order).
Check out our resources page.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel